Saturday, December 5, 2009

Say Hello to the Engineer who wants to be a Lawyer :)

     After raising quite a few eyebrows and causing quite a stir in my friends’ circle, finally, no one gives me that weird look when I tell them I have enrolled for a full fledged, full time degree in Law. Why would someone who completed her Engineering two years back want to get a degree in law now, is something that most of the people I know  cant make sense of . If you ask me, neither can I give you a satisfying answer. It is one of those childhood dreams I cant seem to get rid of. Will I change my career and become a lawyer when I have my degree in hand? Or will my law degree certificate, become a part of the stack of other certificates in my cupboard? I don’t know! All that I know is that I cant wait to learn about the law of my land. I cant wait to rattle off IPC section codes . And I cant wait for the day when I can wear that black coat and white collar and pose for a photograph :p And I cant wait to finally feel the ecstasy of watching a lifelong dream come true.
     Whatever the end is, at least the intentions are good. I may not really make a switch and jump headlong in a new career stream, but at least, when I am old and withering, I will not look back at life and say “ I wish I had done that” J  And moreover, these 2  years in the IT industry has taught me a few lessons. I am sure I cannot stick around here for long. For me, there is so much more to life, than a 10x10 cubicle, an action-packed day, endless calls on the VOIP and a day that runs well beyond 10 hours at office. Maybe, the day I feel I have had enough of this, I will just walk out and hit the High Court instead! :p
       I must admit, it is a nice feeling to read about the laws that run my country, to be an informed citizen who knows the pros and cons of our judicial system. While it does make me proud to be a part of a nation that has one of the best written rules of Constitution, the irony of it’s associated action, hits me hard.
      A terrorist guns down people at Victoria Terminus. He is caught live on camera. Millions across the world, watch his hatred-filled face and his rifle wielding picture flashing across televisions and newspapers. A few hundred people  give up their  lives fighting him back. They finally manage to capture him alive, at the cost of the lives and dreams of dedicated policemen. He is alive and kicking. Videos of him gunning down people are all over the internet. And yet, all this is not proof enough to get him the punishment he deserves. Endless visits to the court continue. News about the court proceedings have moved on from the front page to some neglected corner on the fifth page of newspapers. Yet, there is no progress whatsoever. One year later, we are still at the spot where we began.Today, Kasab is nothing less than a celebrity, thanks to the endless coverage he received. Most of it, concentrating on the man, than on the cause.
      What do we blame this on? Our Indian Judiciary? Corrupt politicians? The media? Ourselves? Citizens who don’t care what’s happening in the courts as long as we are happy at our homes? Opinions will differ. Each one starts blaming the other. And finally, what started as a discussion on the present sorry state of our Judicial System will end up as a fist war..Over region, religion and differing opinions.
      Yet, in spite of all this, I still feel hopeful that someday, justice will be made. While I sit and crib of this unresolved issue, I feel this strong urge to not lose sight of  the million others that were actually, successfully resolved. It gives me hope, that all is not lost yet.
       I have been a dreamer all my life. And when I dream, I dream big and I dream  positive. Something in me tells me,  that this degree in law is going to make a difference somewhere. Maybe not right now. Maybe not today. Maybe not in the next 5 years. But someday, somewhere, this will help me. It may not change nations,( LOL, I warned you I dream big :p.),but it most certainly will change my life. For the better J
        If nothing else, this post has given me enough motivation to get back to studying the “ Indian Penal Code”. My exams begin on January 1st. Wish me luck! :D
        I will end it with two lines from Tagore. Two lines that just wont leave my mind.
“ Where the mind is without fear, and the head is held high,
Into that heaven of Freedom my father, let my country awake!”

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i second that thought...lovely write up...hope someone out there will make a difference in our country...
    PS. pls dont end up like jim carrey in 'liar liar' :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Supi : Thanks a lot! :) With your blessings , i will :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ejaz : Thank you! LOL at your PS :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Am an engineer... wanna be lawyer...' So says Pavi... 'Amen' says the world... 'all ya crooks and criminals... Thieves and cheats... beware' so says Yk, 'Pavi packs quite a punch'...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @YaK : LOL!!!That was some warning i must say ;) Thanks YaK!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails